Brexit: Individuals and travellers, frequently asked questions

Mise à jour le 07/07/2021

Answers to all your questions about Brexit.

From the 1st January 2021, you will be able to reclaim VAT on goods purchased in France.

At the border, you will find PABLO terminals allowing you to scan your tax refund forms yourself and receive your refund directly in your bank account. You can also go to the nearest tax-operator.

Customs services will be present to help you with your formalities and make sure that you are in possession of the goods for which a tax refund is requested.

Customs officers do not have the capability of giving you back the VAT amount you paid, they can only certify the slip.

When arriving in France from the United Kingdom, you can carry goods purchased or offered to you in your personal baggage, without having to make a declaration or pay duties and taxes. The value of these goods must not exceed the following thresholds.

Maximum values allowed :

  • by ship and by plane : 430 €
  • by car and by train : 300 €
  • children under the age of 15 :150 €

Maximum quantities allowed 

Travelers under the age of 17 are excluded from these allowances

  • Tabacco : 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos or 250 g smoking or 50 cigars tobacco
  • Alcoholic beverages : 1l if +22° ABV or 2l if -22°, 4l of wine, 16 l of beer

Are you travelling with 10 000 euros or more (cash, securities or valuables regardless of the currency)? Before crossing the border, whether you are entering or leaving the EU you have to declare your cash online using DALIA.

How does DALIA work?

Go to :

  1. Log on to DALIA and click on "Déposer une nouvelle déclaration".
  2. Create a Dalia account or connect via FranceConnect, Google or Facebook. This way, you will able to:
    1. consult your previous declarations
    2. amend or cancel your declarations before crossing the border
    3. declare online more rapidly for your next trips
  3. Otherwise, you can declare without creating a DALIA account.
  4. Fill in and validate your declaration of cash and cash equivalents online before crossing the border.
  5. Print or download your declaration of cash and cash equivalents: if you are controlled by customs, you must present this declaration, either in printed form or on a screen (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc.).

Save time! Plan ahead! You can declare up to 30 days before your departure.

From 1 October 2021 most EU, EEA and Swiss ID cards will not be accepted as a valid travel document to enter the UK. You will need to use a passport. For more information and exceptions visit

Your pet is a domestic carnivore (dog, cat, ferret)

You must declare it when booking your train or ferry ticket, stating:

  • the type of pet: dog, cat or ferret
  • the number of animals (maximum 5 per person, except proof of registration for a sporting or cultural event)
  • the microchip number
  • the date of rabies vaccination

When boarding, you must show your dog, cat or ferret to ferry company or Eurotunnel officials for:

  • scan the microchip
  • verify the passport of the sanitarian certificate issued by the British
  • identify your vehicule by a marking (sticker or hanger...).

When you arrive in France, go to Customs for a check.

For all other domestic animals (birds, rabbits, etc.) up to five per person

You must show Customs the necessary health certificates.

Products of animal or vegetable origins are controlled at the entry of the EU.

Animal products

The importation of meat, meat products, milk and milk products is prohibited (other than powdered infant milk, or special pet foods required for health reasons).

On the other hand, other products of animal origin (fishery products, honey, snails, powdered milk and infant foods, foodstuffs required for medical reasons, etc.) are allowed in your personal luggage when they are intended for your personal consumption and do not exceed the thresholds set by European regulations.

Plant products

Because of their threat to biodiversity, plant products are subject to mandatory inspection upon arrival in France.

Only importation of bananas, durians, coconuts, pineapples and dates is authorised without plant health certificates. The importation of some plants is prohibited entirely. You must show Customs a phytosanitary certificate issued by the United Kingdom, whatever the volume contained in your luggage.

Do you live outside the European Union? Are you over 16 and are passing through France for less than 6 months? You can obtain a refund of VAT on goods purchased during your stay in France.

Northern Ireland remains subject to Community VAT regulations, so travelers residing there cannot claim tax refund.

Counterfeits are forbidden in France. To avoid any difficulties:

  • Go to official retailers
  • Pay attention to the quality of the product
  • Beware of low prices
  • Look at the label and the logo
  • Check the quality of the packaging

Medicines are allowed in personal baggage, without a prescription for personal use corresponding to 3 months of treatment, and with a prescription for larger quantities.

Free movement card

Ask for a Free movement card (which is a kind of passport for your personnal objects) at the nearest customs office.


For any questions related to:

  • Visa and identity documents (ID, passport)
  • Exit permit for a minor child living in France and travelling abroad, alone or without one of his parents

Consult the website to know the rules applying to travellers from France.